08 April 2006

Araucaria... thay say they´re on the path of extinction

This is a Araucaria a type of pine that grows in South America and Australia, and as far as I know it´s on the path of extinction. The type Araucaria is derived from "Arauco", a region in central Chile where the Araucani Indians lived. They were fierce and stood up against spanish conquistadores for a long time. Just like the Araucaria that has daggerlike leaves and who, it´s being said, stood up to the dinosaurs. You can find a lot of Araucarias on the outskirts of Buenos Aires. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Wolf said...

Nice looking tree! I'd love to have a yard full of them!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

What a cool tree; Is it related, I wonder, to the spiky tree we call 'Monkey puzzle' tree? I wonder - I wish I knew the real name - I'll have to look it up.
Great photo!

3:53 AM  
Blogger Nicola said...

This must be quite an old tree since it's so big.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Lovely green..very good to make a place shady ..Nice shot !

4:48 AM  
Blogger Cynthia Quiros said...

sam: I think they call it that way too.
I really love theses trees because they are really old and so different from others.
Thank you guys for your comments!!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home